Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Collapsing of a Relationship 1 2 3

I had a thought on my way to work this morning about, yep, you guessed it, my failing relationship with the one and only D. Man, I really hope this saga gets its closure soon so I can start focusing on other, more important topics. But for now, this is what is front and center in my mind.

Anyway, I was thinking about things while driving earlier and I realized that the story arch of our relationship has been very similar to that of a movie that's quite good and exciting for the first 85 minutes, then craps out for the last 5-10 and leaves you feeling confused and unsatisfied. Last week I watched "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3" and had that exact feeling when the movie ended. So, although other movies could be used as examples, "Pelham" is the one I've seen most recently so I'm gonna do a quick story point by story point comparison of the two.

- I meet D; we talk a little via email / phone a little before meeting up and having our first date which ends up being the best first date I've ever had. We have two more dates after this that get progressively better and end with our first kiss session ---- The opening credits roll, quick cuts between Travolta and Washington starting their days. Travolta and his boys hijack the train and we're off and running.

- D and I have sex for the first time on only our fourth date, about two weeks after the first one. It's sudden and it's awesome ---- Travolta kills the first passenger and we now know he's not bluffing like Ed Harris in "The Rock." Quite the opposite actually, he's not fucking around.

- D and my relationship continues to blossom and be exciting and fresh and always full of surprises. We aren't bored of each other, in fact we can't get enough of each other. ---- The story progresses as Travolta and Washington's relationship builds, we learn of the computer on the floor, more people die, car crashes, etc etc.

- D begins the first in a series of interesting moves and things said. She starts doing things in her free time that she hadn't been doing and suddenly has all these new dude friends as well as less time for me. ---- Washington and Travolta meet, money is exchanged and the Travolta gang tricks the cops and escapes the subway into a hotel.

- D brings up the open relationship idea and I agree, thinking at the moment that it's not a bad idea and is worth trying. ---- Travolta and his hired thugs shake hands and go their separate ways upon exiting the hotel, thinking they've gotten away.

- Almost two weeks go by without seeing D and it's clear she doesn't really have any desire to see me (see; previous entries for further explaination of this). ---- both Travolta and his Hired thugs are separately corned by cops and killed. The thugs in a sudden hail of gunfire, Travolta by Washington. Not the ending the average viewer had hoped for.

I don't really know what the point of mentioning this is, it just makes sense in my head. There isn't much that sucks more than a disappointing end to something that had otherwise been so satisfying. It leaves you feeling cheated and empty inside. That's how I felt after "Pelham" on a small, entertainment scale and that's how I'm feeling as the D saga limps its way toward the innevitable rolling of the credits.

"Eh, it was pretty good, ending kinda sucked though."

No comments:

Post a Comment